Friday, March 24, 2006

Dear Senator Frist

Dear Senator Frist,

A couple of weeks ago I read that you are planning on bringing to a vote a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. Again.

I guess the poll numbers showing the country’s dissatisfaction with this administration and this Republican controlled congress is pushing you to do it. I mean it is an old tried and true political weapon that has certainly worked before. So I guess it doesn’t hurt to dust it off, keep your fingers crossed, and hope like hell that it bears fruit for the Grand Old Party again.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news on this brilliant political strategy, but I don’t think it is going to work as well as it has in the past. You see, opposition to gay marriage is declining. Could it be that most Americans have bigger problems threatening their families and their way of life? Could it be that they are now realizing that decreasing job stability, rising energy prices, unaffordable healthcare and high insurance costs, ballooning deficits, a war in Iraq and Afghanistan, disappearing pensions, rising higher education costs and declining grant and scholarship funds, etc., etc. are bigger threats to the American family than two people of the same sex wanting to have their commitment to each other legally recognized? Could it be that the American people are feeling a little hoodwinked from the last time you pulled this cheap little trick out of your bag?

And on a more personal level and as the mother of a gay child, I have to tell you this is getting so old and so offensive. Please STOP IT. I am sick and tired of you using my child as a way to whip your base into a frenzy to raise your poll numbers. How would you like it if one of your children was shamelessly used by an elected official in such a self-serving way? Betrayed? Angry? Fed Up? I would guess all of the above and more.

I have spent countless sleepless hours thinking about the harm you have done to so many families like mine with these stunts. We are Americans too. Leave our children alone! Leave our families alone. I need some sleep. Please sir, I respectfully request that you start spending more time on the real problems our country is facing and stop inventing problems that don’t exist. You might be pleasantly surprised at how that might just raise your very sad poll numbers.


Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,

Seething Mom Share

No comments: