Friday, April 14, 2006

It’s Not A Choice You Idiots

Ok, I guess I’m not done ranting about this subject yet. I am not sure why the article about 22 year old Ruth Malhotra and her lawsuit demanding that her school revoke its tolerance policy because she feels it is an infringement on her religious expression sent me over the edge, but it did. I really really lost it on that one. In fact, I was so enraged that I was sick to my stomach with a pounding headache for two days. Normally, I try not to let these bible beating do-gooders get to me, but there was just something about a 22 year old trying to force public schools, state colleges and private workplaces to eliminate policies protecting gays and lesbians from harassment.

I have two sons about the same age as her. And this twit wants to make sure that one of them is open game for her harassment and discrimination and then she wants to disguise it under her tattered, smelly blanket of Christianity. Why? Because she is one of a select group of chosen ones who hold the exclusive direct line to God. And because of this privileged status, she knows that homosexuality is not an inborn trait, but rather a lifestyle choice. She knows that homosexuality is evil. And she has been tapped by God to save everyone from this evil. She will use our courts to try and dictate who meets her standards for humane and civil treatment and who does not.

Now one might argue that there are studies, lots of them, that are still trying to unravel the truth about sexual orientation. But these religious chosen ones already know the answers. They don’t need no stinkin studies or science. For them science is evil. For them science has no place in any discussion when they have the Good Book to tell them what is and is not. Heck, as far as the chosen ones are concerned the Bible (that book that is a copy of a copy of a copy of a translation of a translation of a translation by the only literate guy in town who, by the way, had this habit of adding little side notes in the margins that somehow made it into the text of the book as the irrefutable truth) trumps that old Constitution any day.

I know I am sounding a bit unhinged right now. Please forgive me, I am really seething over this. As a mom who knows her kids like no one else ever will, I resent some 22 year old, wet behind the ears, ignorant kid trying to tell me or anyone else that homosexuality is a choice and therefore those who choose it should be singled out and treated differently. This is wrong on so many levels, but let me make two points. First of all, no one knows for sure (though I have my strong opinions based on gut wrenching experience) whether homosexuality is a choice. Second, even if we were to someday prove that it is indeed a choice, who is Ruth Malhotra or anyone else to condemn it? She chooses to be cruel and bigoted in the name of Christianity and we even give her a forum in our legal system to espouse whatever nonsense she wants. No one is infringing on her rights to do it either. And Ruth, as much as I would like to put a sock in your mouth and shut you up, I realize that you have every right to spit out whatever your blessed (no pun intended) little heart desires. But as Shakespeare’s Sister has said many times: my rights end where yours begin, which when put into the only perspective you seem to see things from, translates into your rights, Ruth, end where someone else’s begin. And that includes people upon whose lifestyles you sanctimoniously look down your nose. Get it Ruth? You are entitled to speak your mind and even try to enshrine into law your twisted concept of religious expression, but you are NOT entitled to deem someone else unworthy of civil treatment because they don’t meet your standards. If homosexuality is a choice as you believe, and if it is evil as you believe, then please don’t choose to be an evil homosexual. I will make you a deal, you can continue being a pious, misguided Christian if you want and I promise I won’t sue for the right to harass the hell out of you. But maybe you should find some other cause that actually helps those less fortunate than you to prove what a good Christian you are --- maybe collecting money to feed the poor, or volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, or tutoring poor inner city kids who are struggling in school. How does that sound? Hey I will even give you my evil son’s phone number and he can tell you how good it feels to make a positive difference in a less fortunate person’s life.

Share

No comments: