Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Bush judicial nominees ask to withdraw

Finally!! I don’t have to worry myself sick about Bush judicial nominees anymore. Well maybe I’m getting a little too hopeful and exuberant, but I cannot begin to describe the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach the day that Sandra Day O’Connor announced her retirement. I was already hyper-aware of the extreme right-wing ideologues that Bush was nominating for the lower courts, so it wasn’t difficult to imagine what kind of lasting damage this President could inflict on our Supreme Court. And yes, I know there are many who think John Roberts was a truly fine pick for Chief Justice, but I’m just not one of them (and I won’t even comment on Samuel Alito). And while there has not been enough time to truly judge John Roberts on his merits, I will admit that I do not have a good feeling about him. Call it intuition, call it fear, or call it irrational momma paranoia, but his evasive answers during the confirmation hearings made me feel very uncomfortable. The same kind of uncomfortable I’d have if I were stuck in a room with a slick used-car salesman saying whatever he had to say to make the sale. John Robert’s terrific ability to slyly evade every question with an answer that sounded too rehearsed just did not set well with me. In fact it felt a little too ---- uhmm --- deceiptful. Sorry, but I just don’t trust him. Maybe it would be different if I had heard just a few honest straightforward answers. But I didn’t and believe me, I was watching him like a hawk.

Ok, ok, I will be the first to admit that I look at these men as though they could potentially be holding the future of my children in their hands --- because they damn well will be if they get confirmed. And the thought of another Anthony Scalia on the Supreme Court dictating what goes on in my children’s private lives (or my private life for that matter) scares the holy hell out of this Seething Mom.

So I was just tickled pink to read that President Bush:

…in a concession to the Senate's new Democratic majority, SEARCH
won't rename four controversial federal appeals court nominees whose confirmations were blocked last year.

And my morning elation continued to grow when I read what the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Sen. Patrick Leahy had to say:

…only "consensus nominees" are likely to win confirmation under the new Democratic majority — a declaration that effectively doomed the chances for the four men whose appointments were left in limbo when the Senate adjourned last year for the elections.

Maybe it’s still too soon to feel hope again, but this Seething Mom is cautiously optimistic. I never thought I could have so much faith in a party again, but I do.

Please Dems, don’t let us down. Fight hard, and if you have to, fight dirty. We need to insure that our kids will be able to live in a country that has a judicial system that will treat everyone fairly and with dignity. And I don’t trust George Bush to put our children at the top of his list of priorities. He hasn’t so far.

Hat tip AMERICAblog

Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real fight has already started, and until 2010 or 2011 Democrats should also be concentrating on taking as many state legislatures as possible. I hope to God the Democrats were paying attention this decade, when the Republicans gerrymandered the hell out of the states they controlled in order to ensure themselves bulletproof seats in Congress.

The Republicans know that it's not just about Congress. It's about the "meta," the political power that puts people in power.

This is the best chance and the best way to take away power; please don't let them screw this up!

Seething Mom said...

You are absolutely right Pisco. We should never lose sight of the big picture, the devil really is in the details (state legislatures).

I know that here in Arizona this past election cycle the state legislature trended in the right direction and we got rid of a few real right-wing extremists, but we still have a long way to go. The good news is that before the elections a prominent polling guy here predicted a veto-proof legislature, and thankfully that didn't happen. IMHO government works best when there is plenty of head-butting.

Let's pray that what we are seeing now is just the beginning. Sanity cannot come back too soon.

Thanks for the visit.
PS Spaghetti for dinner tonight...