Tuesday, April 24, 2007

If only they’d denounced the evil within their own ranks as forcefully

This is utterly unbelievable:

The Vatican's second-highest ranking doctrinal official on Monday forcefully branded homosexual marriage an evil and denounced abortion and euthanasia as forms of "terrorism with a human face."

The attack by Archbishop Angelo Amato, secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was the latest in a string of speeches made by either Pope Benedict or other Vatican officials as Italy considers giving more rights to gays.

This coming from the very same people who personified evil for decades by shuffling pedophile priests from one parish to another thus enabling them access to a new crowd of unsuspecting innocent rape victims. And they honestly feel they have the moral high ground to call gays and lesbians evil for wanting to love and commit to the person they love? I cannot wrap my mind around this kind of hate --- yes, HATE. That is what it is.

I keep telling myself I’m not going to waste any more time, energy, or emotion on the Catholic Church’s over-the-top homophobia and hate, but it is completely impossible to ignore the escalating rhetoric coming from these people’s mouths. How, how, how can they think they have enough credibility to condemn anyone as evil? HOW????

I just want to curl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep. The Church in which I was born and raised has truly gone off the deep end.

Andrew’s take:

How can one not regret the coarseness of the rhetorical blast that just came from the lips of Archbishop Angelo Amato? He directly equated suicide bombing with civil unions or civil marriage for gay couples. Yes: the human desire to seek out one other person and commit to him or her for a lifetime is "terrorism with a human face" and "equally repugnant" as the acts of al Qaeda. The comparison is such a ludicrously cruel, absurd and demeaning one it doesn't even rise to the level of rational debate. But here is an authoritative church leader calling gay couples the moral equivalent of mass-murderers of innocents. All one can say is that this is not the language of Jesus, and it is not the language of the Gospels. It is, in fact, hate speech. It will persuade no one. Even if one were to believe that abortion is as morally repugnant as murder, how can the same rubric be applied to gay couples who are intending to do nothing but look after one another under the law? How can attempts to find meaningful civil protections for their relationships be regarded as "evil"? Misguided for some, perhaps. Unwise for others. But evil? "Equally repugnant" as the acts of suicide bombers? From a bishop of the church? The mind reels.

Share

4 comments:

Jarred said...

As I read this, two things came to my mind. The first is the realization of just how desparate the powers that be must be getting to keep their continually slipping control over these things. I think that's the problem with trying to keep things under control through fear and alarm. You have to keep cranking up the "volume" because everyone gets increasingly desensitized as time goes on.

The other thing I remember is one of the lines at the end of the movie "FAQs." The main character tells his male lover, "Our kisses are like bombs going off in the straight world." This bit of insanity from the Vatican just reinforces how true that line is. Personally, I think it's just a sign of how much power the "straight world" really gives us. I mean, to think of little old me being able to cause that kind of disruption in the minds and lives of people I barely know. It's just unthinkable.

Anonymous said...

Dear Seething Mom,

I haven’t stopped crying since I started reading your blog today. I guess in some ways I try to imagine my mum standing up for me with a fierce love in her voice… I know I am kidding myself, but one needs hope to survive in this world. The long and short of it is this- I’m a 28 year old lesbian in Malaysia. My family is Christian. For over 10 years I tried to change, tried reparative therapy, the whole works. Nothing worked. I finally decided early this year that God loved me as I am. Not in spite of who I am. And have been at peace since.

My parents have always known of my struggles and have always been compassionate, as long as I was trying to change. I tested the waters with my mum two months ago, asking her how she would react if I ever decided to accept myself as gay, and her response was simply this- “If you decide to be gay, I will still love you, but will not be able to respect you. You will also make me feel for the rest of my life that I did something wrong with you.”

That hurt very bad but I laughed it aside. They still think I’m in reparative therapy. It makes them feel safe. Makes them feel better. But it makes me feel that the only reason they love me is because of something they think I am, not for the real me. But I guess in some twisted way, living in the closet makes me feel as if I’m being filial. That I’m shielding and protecting them. And that I as a good daughter am honouring my parents by doing that.

I thank God for mums like you. You are so precious, so rare. May God give you the courage and grace to continue walking in truth with Him. You’ve left the Catholic Church, but I know Jesus would fiercely count you as one of His disciples. And at the end of the day, that’s what really matters. Bless you.

Seething Mom said...

Jarred, you said: “I mean, to think of little old me being able to cause that kind of disruption in the minds and lives of people I barely know. It's just unthinkable.”

You crack me up. You just keep on disrupting baby. I think you’re hitting a nerve!

Seething Mom said...

Oh dear Skippy you’ve broken my heart. It is stories like yours that make me feel so agonized and helpless. How I wish I could make your pain go away.

You say your parents have always known of your struggles. That does not surprise me. I knew that my gay son was “different” almost from the very beginning and yet his high school friends did not have a clue that he was gay until he told them. I believe that most parents who have gay children *know* on *some level* about their child. For me it was that knowledge, that gut suspicion, that he’d been *different* from a very very young age that makes me fight so fiercely on his behalf. No one, and I mean no one, shall stand sanctimoniously in some pulpit and preach that my son, or anyone else’s gay or lesbian son or daughter, is evil and has chosen the gay “lifestyle”. That just makes no sense to me at all. I don’t need their 3rd grade interpretation of the scriptures, I have that GOD-GIVEN mother’s instinct and that is ALL I need to know how sinfully wrong they are.

Oh if only parents of gay and lesbian children would stop for a minute and just think! Really think! I cannot tell you how many times I have thought to myself, “ahhh that finally makes sense” when thinking about my son as a small boy. So many missing pieces of the puzzle just fell into place when I finally learned my son was gay. Parents know their child better than anyone, some just choose to put the blinders on and live in denial. But how any parent can let some preacher tell them that their child is evil is beyond me. Have we become a people who’ve lost so much confidence in our own moral meters that we’d let someone else tell us that our own children are evil?? And believe them?

I’ll tell you this Skippy, your parents are so very lucky to have a daughter as beautiful as you. Please know that I will never stop fighting this fight and that letters like yours just fuel the fire in my soul. I fight not just for my precious son, but for you and every other gay and lesbian son or daughter whose parents have not yet realized the beautiful gift they have in their child.

Stay strong and please stay in touch. I really want to know how you are doing.

PS I read your letter late last night (about midnight) and I went to bed and cried. No one should have to try and be someone they are not. That you do this for your parents speaks volumes about you. I pray that one day your parents come to terms with who you are and accept you and love you just as God intended you to be.