Thursday, May 24, 2007

What About the Parents?

I've been meaning to blog about this for weeks, but with work taking up the bulk of my time these past few months, I put this post on the back burner because I wanted some time to think on it. But then when I got to thinking about it, I realized I'm hardly qualified to comment on this subject since my family has never had any personal experience with these ex-gay organizations. My only experience comes solely from the many stories I've read about the terrible damage these ex-gay "ministries" do to gays and lesbians desperate to meet the Dobson litmus test for normal. But little is said about the harm these organizations do to the entire family of the gays and lesbians going through the "degaying process".

Well I ran across this most heartbreaking post a few weeks ago and it does talk about the harm done to the family and in a better, more authentic way than I ever could because it is the personal story of someone who knows first hand. So please hop on over to Peterson Toscano's place and read his story.

Oh, and by the way, pay no attention to the crazy lady in the comments section. She is a known head case when it comes to this subject and tends to get overly emotional when it comes to these religious frauds who spew hatred and homophobia under the guise of Christianity. Share

1 comment:

Jarred said...

Thanks for pointing out that entry! It's something that I'd never considered before, though it makes perfect sense. Though I have to admit that I'm more used to thinking in terms of those parents who force their minor children to undergo such programs? (Like Zach, the 17yo from Tennessee who was sent to LIA for a couple weeks by his parents back in 2005.) But now that I think about parents of adult children going through this, I can see the point Peterson's making.