Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The long limp home


My mother is home now from the hospital. We have moved her in with us and she is continuing her physical therapy on an outpatient basis. There have been some setbacks along the way, she broke her foot during a physical therapy session the day before she was set to be discharged from the hospital, and she is now effectively nursing boo boos on both ends of her body. But for the most part, she is doing very very well.


This Friday is a big day. She meets with the Neurosurgeon and we should learn at that appointment whether or not they are going to have to do brain surgery or rule it out for good. My gut says they will not have to do any surgery, but every once in a while I have to do a reality check with myself and allow for the possibility so that I am not completely thrown if they decide it is necessary.


Unfortunately I will be leaving tomorrow for Seattle to take our daughter to college, get her settled in, and visit with our son who is already there preparing for his senior year. Our daughter is the baby of the family and I just cannot miss this trip, but it means not being with my mom when she sees the Neurosurgeon. One of my 4 brothers flew in from California to stay with her while we are gone and he has assured me he will call me the second they leave the doctor’s office and let me know the scoop.


I don’t think I am going to sleep a wink Thursday night.


So life has been hectic. Moving my baby out, moving my mom in, nonstop out-of-town and in-town traffic, and up to this point a lot of uncertainty. But I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. And it feels good.


I can’t wait to get back to the blog. I miss it. But I don’t see that happening for at least another week or so.


Thank you, thank you to all the wonderful people who have written throughout this ordeal. It has meant so much. I love you all and feel so lucky to have you. Share

2 comments:

Jan said...

So good to hear your news and see you blogging again! Have a safe trip to and from Seattle. Enjoy cool and somewhat rainy Seattle, especially with both your children there.

tina FCD said...

I wish your mom the best. Have a safe trip.