Friday, November 07, 2008

I'm putting the celebration on hold for now





I can hardly bring myself to write this post. I feel so robbed. I should be beside myself with joy over the landslide victory of Barack Obama ---- and I'm not. God knows I have waited years for this momentous day to come and I cannot celebrate. I cannot even smile. I feel completely and utterly devoid of any joy.

It is pretty hard to celebrate this huge step forward in American history when We simultaneously took a huge step backwards in Arizona, Florida, Arkansas, and most importantly California with the passages of propositions that will rob a certain segment of our fellow Americans of their right to marry the person they love and in the case of Arkansas, adopt a child.

It is pretty hard to celebrate the fact that I am now the mother of a second class citizen who will now have to live first class citizenship vicariously through his brother and sister who had the luck to be born with a sexual orientation that the Morman Church approves of.

It is pretty hard to celebrate the fact that we have finally put a man into the White House based on the content of his character and not the color of his skin, but we still have no problem descriminating against a whole segment of Americans based on who they choose to love.

I knew this was coming in Arizona and Florida, BUT CALIFORNIA??? My God, California has always been a state that has led the country with its progressive values and forward thinking! And yet, 51% of its citizens took their marching orders from Utah, the Morman Church, and hateful vile people like James Dobson and Tony Perkins.

51% of Californians decided that they could live with stripping fellow Californians of the same rights they enjoy, while at least finding it in their hearts to show some compassion by overwhelmingly voting to pass a proposition that would provide protections for farm animals. I just cannot come to grips with the fact that a majority of California voters could, in the words of Andrew Sullivan, vote to restrict cruelty for animals and simultaneously inflict it on some humans.

I will eventually celebrate the absolutely wonderful results of this presidential election. I just cannot do it now. My heart hurts too much. Share

No comments: