Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Putting my money where my rage is

Ok, I have to make a confession. I have been in an almost catatonic state of depression over the passage of California’s Prop 8 and Arizona’s Prop 102.

Yes, I expected Arizona to pass their hateful Prop 102 since we have such a high number of wingnuts and Mormons here (hell one of Arizona's strongest supporters of Prop 102 was a Mormon state legislator with 5 marriages under own belt), but I counted on the fairer more progressive citizens of California to lead the way to equality for all, just as they have done in the past. And just to be on the safe side, my husband and I hedged our bets by contributing to the No on 8 campaign in California.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would see the day where Californians would allow the LDS Church in Utah to have such a powerful and hateful influence on their laws and ultimately their precious Constitution. NEVER!

Thankfully (or maybe unfortunately) my catatonic depression is finally starting to give way to a slow but steadily growing rage. And I will spend every ounce of energy I have directing that rage into every avenue I can think of to punish those who thought nothing of voting to enshrine their hateful religious beliefs into our state constitutions and hurt one of my precious children.

One of many ways my husband and I will channel our rage is with our pocketbook. We are airline people. Airline people travel. Airline people travel a lot. Airline people employ lots and lots of gays and lesbians. And airline people spend lots of money on hotels and restaurants. And I will make it my life’s mission to educate the airline people on who should and should not get our precious dollars, starting with Marriott hotels.

And yes I know, Bill Marriott wrote some weak letter trying to save himself from any blame, but that syrupy, “it’s not my fault” letter just does not cut it for me. And nothing short of a strong statement condemning what his church did and a promise that he will fight with both words and money to undo the harm his church has wrought will change my mind. And I will start by putting my money where my mouth is. My husband and I have been Marriott Rewards members for years. NO MORE. Marriott will not see another damn dime from us ever again. We are extremely loyal patrons. But companies have to earn that loyalty. Bill Marriott will need to do more than write letters to get us back.

The Mormon Church has hurt my family deeply. This is one momma who is spittin mad. No one takes aim at one of my kids with their hate and bigotry and gets away with it – no one! Share

No comments: