Saturday, January 24, 2009

Focus on the Family doesn't think President Obama is a friend of family values

I have stayed rather low key since the inauguration. I cannot put my finger on exactly what my emotions are, except to say I am overwhelmed with a sense of relief that George W. Bush (a man I voted for, not once but twice -- God forgive me) is gone, and our House and Senate are now controlled by enough Democrats to get things done.

The passages of anti-marriage amendments in both California and my home state of Arizona completely robbed me of the euphoria I had so looked forward to enjoying when Barack Obama claimed victory. And then to top my funk off, Obama went and did exactly what he said he was going to do and reached across the aisle and chose Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inauguration (which to my relief actually turned out to be rather anti-climatic).

It didn't take me long to realize that I had to tone down my expectations, admit what a truly horrible mess this country is in, and come to terms with the fact that there are much, much bigger problems that Obama has to deal with than smacking down the James Dobson/Rick Warren/Tony Perkins crowd. And maybe even, horror of all horrors, I needed to get used to the idea that Obama was going to actually give these Religious Right-Family Advocate frauds a seat at the table.

Well... it looks like maybe I was being a tad overly pessimistic and morose. Imagine my surprise (and relief) when I clicked on the new White House website, which went live minutes after our new President was sworn in, and saw that President Obama's civil rights agenda included a whole section titled "Support for the LGBT Community". And when I saw that this section included things like Supporting Full Civil Unions and Federal Rights for LGBT Couples, Fighting Workplace Discrimination, Repealing Don't Ask-Don't Tell, Expanding Adoption Rights, and Promoting AIDS Prevention, I knew I could finally let myself feel a little bit of that euphoria that had so eluded me right after the election. Seeing these goals, in black in white, on the White House website was truly salve to this seething momma's wounds.

But wait! It gets better. Not content with simply reveling in the fact that we now have a president who is going to work to make my beloved son an equal among his straight peers, I decided to see how organizations like Focus on the Family were reacting to Obama's new Civil Rights agenda. And it didn't take me long to find out. The Christian Institute didn't waste any time laying it all out:

Focus on the Family:

Focus on the Family, founded by Dr James Dobson, has reacted with great concern to the new White House agenda.

“President Obama is no friend of family values, and that is made perfectly clear on the White House Web site,” said Ashley Horne, federal policy analyst at Focus on the Family Action.

“This is the most bold and comprehensive pro-homosexual, abortion-friendly administration agenda we’ve ever seen. And this is no time for Christians to remain silent.”

Family Research Council:

Tony Perkins, of the American policy group Family Research Council, said: “Minutes after Obama took the oath of office, the transfer of power was made complete on the White House website.”

He added that the White House: “now welcomes an extreme collection of anti-life, anti-woman, and anti-family agendas.”

He said: “Under the caption ‘civil rights,’ Obama pledges to fight for nationwide civil unions, repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, homosexual adoption, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, expanded ‘hate crimes’, and over 1,100 costly same-sex benefits.

“He promises to repeal ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ as well as block a federal amendment to preserve marriage.

“In exchange for the support of groups like Planned Parenthood, the abortion business is also due for a rich payoff from the 44th President, including his support of abortion-on-demand, more funding for ‘family planning’ programs, embryonic stem cell experiments, and tax-funded abortion.”

Alliance Defense Fund:

Alan Sears, President of American legal group the Alliance Defense Fund, is surprised at the swiftness of the radical agenda. He said: “Well, that didn’t take long.

“To many, it may seem premature to confront head-on the agenda of the new president, in a week dedicated to celebrating his political success and the peaceful transition of power in our republic. But, sad to say, in the marriage of President Obama’s political destiny to that of these United States, it’s Mr. Obama who chose to cut short the honeymoon.

“No sooner had he finished speaking of his fellow Americans in his inaugural address as a people who ‘have chosen hope over fear [and] unity of purpose over conflict and discord’ than his staff posted, on the White House Web site, a virtual declaration of war against those who oppose the demands for special rights and privileges by those who engage in homosexual behavior.”


God forgive me, but damn this is fun. It almost makes up for the past 8 years of misery under George W. Bush. These sanctimonious family-values frauds are just going to have to get used to the fact that this President values all families, not just the ones that meet their seal of approval.

I think I'm feeling euphoric now. Share

No comments: