Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It Gets Better - LA Gay Men's Chorus

Yes, yes I know... I have been completely neglecting my blog. Much of it is because I have been out of town and out of the country for quite a bit of the last four months. But if I am to be completely honest I would also have to admit that I have been in a very bad place emotionally when it comes to LGBT issues and the complete lack of progress towards equality in the last 2 years.

I had such high hopes, maybe too high, but I cannot help feeling like a complete and utter fool. I was so very naive to believe that my son's equality was a done deal once we got a progressive president into office and Democratic majorities in both the House and Senate. And now two years later, with nothing but the memory of promises made by our so-called "Fierce Advocate" we are about to see a wave of some of the most extreme, homophobic, and crazy candidates voted into office and any hopes we might have had at full equality for our LGBT sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, friends, and neighbors completely vanquished.

And worse yet, not only are we NO closer to seeing DADT and DOMA repealed, but the hate, bullying, bigotry, and nastiness that have always haunted our gay and lesbian children has only gotten louder and bolder in the last two years. How does one arm these children to face a world that makes them feel so desperate, so reviled, so unsafe, and so hopeless? Obviously we aren't doing a very good job with so many feeling that suicide is their only out.

If I cannot wrap my arms around the hate and venom that is so rampant, and I can't, how can I expect our children to? I just got done telling one of my brothers that I am basically an optimistic person, but on all issues LGBT, I can only see the glass half empty.

So let me end by posting something that really did lift my spirits, albeit temporarily:


And once again, a big thank you to JMG for the video clip.
Share

No comments: