Saturday, November 06, 2010

Wow, this story struck a nerve

34,595 comments last time I checked. The name of the article is "My son is gay" and it is well worth the read. Also worth noting: the behavior of the so-called "good Christians" in this story as they do not disappoint. Here is a little snippet:

And then the big day arrives. We get dressed up. We drop Squirt at his preschool and head over to his. Boo doesn’t want to get out of the car. He’s afraid of what people will say and do to him. I convince him to go inside. He halts at the door. He’s visibly nervous. I chalk it up to him being a bit of a worrier in general. Seriously, WHO WOULD MAKE FUN OF A CHILD IN A COSTUME ON HALLOWEEN? So he walks in. And there were several friends of mine that knew what he was wearing that smiled and waved and gave him high-fives. We walk down the hall to where his classroom is.

And that’s where things went wrong. Two mothers went wide-eyed and made faces as if they smelled decomp. And I realize that my son is seeing the same thing I am. So I say, “Doesn’t he look great?” And Mom A says in disgust, “Did he ask to be that?!” I say that he sure did as Halloween is the time of year that you can be whatever it is that you want to be. They continue with their nosy, probing questions as to how that was an option and didn’t I try to talk him out of it. Mom B mostly just stood there in shock and dismay.

Update via BTB: This story just seems to grow and grow. I am sure the poor mother who wrote the initial blog post had no idea what she was about to open up when she hit the publish button, but obviously it was something that hit a nerve for a lot of people, including this seething momma. Anyway, CNN has now gotten into the act and interviewed both psychologist Jeff Gardere and the mother who wrote the original post. And me thinks the psychologist Jeff Gardere may have opened up his own can of worms, but how about going over to BTB and deciding for yourself?

Share

No comments: