There was a time when I was just a consumer. Not anymore. For the last decade, my husband and I have made a concerted effort to give our business only to companies that share our progressive values. Sometimes that may not be possible, but I can assure you most of the time it is completely do-able.
If more of us shopped this way, I believe we could make a hell of an impact. Some of our prerequisites:
- Pays living wages and includes generous benefits for employees?
- Strives to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally?
- Is a good neighbor to the community in which it is located?
- Finds a balance between progressive values and bottom line?
- Is environmentally friendly?
- Is GLBT friendly?
- Has a diversified work force?
- Treats and pays women the same as men?
- Etc., Etc.