Sunday, August 11, 2013

UPDATE: Jonathan Allen, the young opera singer who got thrown out by his parents for being gay returns to America's Got Talent to sing "Impossible Dream"


And something tells me his dream may not be all that impossible. This young man has talent and there is no doubt in my mind he will land on his feet, regardless of whether or not his parents accept him for who he is.


I have to confess my first post about Jonathan Allen has generated one of the largest responses I have ever gotten on this blog. And the emotion has been super-charged. I have gotten so many private emails both agreeing and thanking me for believing Jonathan's story and blasting me and attacking Jonathan for lying about his parents and his circumstances. So at the risk of getting smacked up the side of the head again by the naysayers, I stand by what I said in my original post. I believe Jonathan Allen. I have not seen or heard anything that would change my mind or make me believe Jonathan has not been truthful. Nor have I seen or heard anything that will make me change my opinion of Jonathan's parents. Sorry.

If Jonathan's parents kicked him to the curb because he is gay, and if they did it because of their religious beliefs, then I feel profound pity for them. Anyone who thinks they are staying on the good side of their god by throwing their child to the street like trash, needs to change their religion, grow a brain and start thinking for themselves. Jonathan is exactly who he is supposed to be. God does not make mistakes.

NO child would ever choose to be something that would cause him/her to be rejected by family and friends, reviled by certain religious communities, singled out and denied dignity and rights, and bullied or even killed.

Jonathan came out to his parents at a most critical time, right when he needed their love and emotional support the most. He had to know he was taking a huge chance they might reject him. But he told them the truth anyway -- and it cost him. And the saddest part of all is that Jonathan is truly an impressive and talented young man. He did not get to where he is alone. As a parent myself, I know his parents played a huge role in making him the person he is today.

I believe Jonathan will achieve his dream. It is tragic that he'll have to do it without his parents at his side, beaming with pride, and getting some of the credit they deserve for raising such a lovely young man.

Earlier posts about Jonathan Allen:

Dear parents of Jonathan Allen
Share

5 comments:

Dakotahgeo said...

I'm sorry but Jonathan's Mom sounds like a joke gone really, really bad. It's a bit late, waaay too late, to play the contrite Mom who loves her son. Sorry, but as a Christian minister I've heard too many of these recantations too late to do any good because their son or daughter are already dead. Always be careful what you say because you may have to eat those poisonous words in the future, and they cannot be taken back! Best wishes to a wonderful Christian young man, Jonathan Allen, who "walks the talk" AS a Christian! All blessings to you, my good man!
George M Melby, Pastor/Chaplain (Ret.) dakotahgeo@hotmail.com

Jay C. said...

Wow. That's hilarious. Jonathan, thief, statutory rapist, delinquent juvenile aid & contributor, & pathological liar... as a "Christian"..... What kinda sub-breed of Christianity might that be?.. LOL.

Seething Mom said...

Jay C., I am publishing your comment even though I have NO idea what you are talking about.

Kiwionwing said...

Hope young man is doing well if you have updates

Unknown said...

If my off spring I would support them no matter there sexuality is