Monday, July 20, 2015

The Golden Girls were so ahead of their time


I have a huge soft spot in my heart for this show. Back when it was in its original run, my children were 4, 6, & 7 years old. We would watch this show together. And yes, there were some scenes that may have been considered a touch racy, but that just sparked questions and discussion, which I never thought was a bad thing. I wanted my children to feel comfortable asking me anything. And I definitely did NOT want them sheltered from the realities of life. Golden Girls often provided the perfect opening for us to talk.

It was 1991 and way too early to know that one of my children would one day come out as gay, but scenes like this one below were just the kind of thing I wanted to discuss with them. I had many gay friends when I was in high school and college and I knew that there was a chance one of my children could be gay, but I also knew that it was a certainty that they would have gay children and adults in their lives as well. Either way, I did not want them starting their lives with ugly stereotypes and biases. Who better to help me with that than four lovely grandmotherly ladies like Sophia Petrillo, Rose Nylund, Dorothy Zbornak, and Blanche Devereaux?




Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want another reason to adore the Golden Girls? As far as I'm concerned, Bea Arthur is the patron saint of homeless LGBT youth.

Seething Mom said...

Yes, it is my understanding she left a good part of her estate to this cause. She truly is the patron saint of homeless LGBT youth.