Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Denigrate My Kid, Denigrate Me

Now that I have had some time to absorb the fact that my son is gay, I have come to know on a fairly intimate basis some emotions that were previously foreign to me. I have never felt fear like the fear I feel now for my son’s safety. I have never felt anger like the anger I feel watching my son being used as a political and religious pawn by people willing to go as low as they have to in order to gain or keep power.

I cannot be the only parent who feels that anything done to one of my children is done to me. I cannot be the only parent that would give anything to have 5 minutes with the pansy-assed likes of James Dobson or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell. I cannot be the only parent who screams at the t.v. or the newspaper each time the likes of these creeps or others of their ilk get airtime or space in the paper.

So if my child is going to be relegated to second class citizen status, then I too am a second class citizen. You see, I love and support my son unconditionally, just as he is, just as God made him. When these so called Christian leaders belittle, marginalize, and demonize a person for something he cannot help, they in essence belittle, marginalize, and demonize everyone who loves and accepts that person.

I have been doing a slow burn for over 2 years, and I can now say unequivocally that I am pissed as hell and ready to fight back. And something tells me I am not the only one who feels this way. It is time to stand up to these self appointed pulpit bullies and sanctimonious, hypocritical politicians and marginalize them right into the ground! There should be no place for people who denigrate, marginalize, or demonize any person on the basis of their sexual orientation in the name of politics or religion. We need to put people like Dobson, Robertson, Falwell and the rest of these preachers of hate and intolerance on alert. And let us not forget those self-righteous politicians that have slowly infiltrated every level of our government from our school boards to our city councils and on up. We need to make it loud and clear that we elected them to govern using the constitution as their bible and not the other way around. We also need to put spineless politicians on alert too. Stop licking the boot tops of these so called religious creeps masquerading as Christians because you think it is the only way to climb the political ladder or keep your base appeased. For crying out loud, get a conscience, get a spine. We elected you to represent all Americans, not just the ones that meet the Dobson crowd’s approval. And just in case you haven’t heard yet, Americans come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, and sexual orientations; this is what has made our country so great.

Here is my warning, take it for what it is worth. There is a just below the surface simmering rage. It is going to erupt. We are not going to take it anymore. You heathens of hate are not just marginalizing the GLBT population, but everyone who loves them. Do the freekin math. We are done standing quietly by and agonizing over the caustic, hateful vitriol that spews from your mouths. We are done watching pansy assed politicians and faux Christian leaders pretend that their hatred and intolerance is sanctioned by God. We are done watching OUR children, OUR families, and OUR friends being used to further peoples evil grabs for power. Share

1 comment:

Adonis Ramirez Parra said...

You blog is so so utterly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this, and all of your stories.