Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dear Mary Cheney

I have written rather angry letters to both your mom and your dad, but I just couldn’t bring myself to write you. I simply did not think I had any beef with you. And as a mom who has a gay child, I only felt sadness for you. I truly didn’t harbor the intense anger at you that many in the GLBT community do. I sincerely believed you unselfishly put your loyalty for your parents and their political ambitions before your own personal happiness. That broke my heart. It should have been your parents sacrificing for you, not the other way around. I believed then as I do now that you deserve so much more from your parents.

But today I am really really angry with you. NO wait, I AM SEETHING. I just got done reading something that made my blood boil and made me realize that you do not deserve any sympathy from me. I now think you deserve every single bit of the anger and contempt the GLBT community has aimed at you and then some.

How in heaven’s name could you say with any kind of straight face that:

John Kerry didn't 'out me', nor did he offend or attack me by calling me a lesbian. It wasn't a secret that I was gay, and I certainly couldn't be offended by the truth,'' she writes. ``What was offensive was that he was obviously trying to use me and my sexual orientation for his own political gain. (emphasis mine)

Where have you been for the last 6 years? Are you deaf, dumb, and blind????? You thought John Kerry was using you for political gain because he dared to state an already known fact: that you are a lesbian? You think he was guilty of sleazy politics? You found his mentioning your sexuality offensive? Are you for real? Have you no idea how unbelievably idiotic you sound even saying that stuff? You really must be in a closet, an extremely sound proof one, cut off from all televisions, newspapers, computers (and oxygen, judging from that brain dead statement) for the past 6 years. If you found John Kerry’s true statement offensive then what the hell do you think your father’s administration has been doing for the past 6 years? Do you find gay baiting, homophobia, hate, cruel slurs, misinformation, conflation of homosexuality with bestiality and pedophilia, the push to enshrine second class citizenship into the constitution, and the obsession with demonizing and marginalizing the GLBT community to be offensive? Because that, Mary, is what your father’s administration has been doing. And that, Mary, is “sleazy” politics.

Good God girl, are you really that insulated and removed from the reality that your gay and lesbian brethren face everyday because of your father’s administration? John Kerry was not offensive and sleazy for mentioning a simple fact about you. Get over yourself. Stop the feigned furor. You obviously are clueless to what real fury is all about. And stop giving your father’s administration a pass for 6 years of horror aimed squarely at gays and lesbians? Your father’s administration knows NO limits on filth and dirty politics. There are no limits on how low they will go in their quest to divide the country and incite hatred and bigotry towards gays if it will buy them a few measly votes.

Your father’s administration has used MY SON, Mary, MY SON to rally the foam-at-the-mouth snake oil Christians who hate gays and lesbians. They hate my son and yes Mary, they hate you too. And your father has used them with his eyes wide open. How does it feel to be unfortunate collateral damage? It makes me want to slap his sneering face, Mary. You may not care, but I do. I care deeply Mary. Because my son will not have the advantage of living the sheltered, insulated life you obviously live. I love my son and I believe he deserves so much better than the crappy world your father’s administration is getting ready to hand to him. And you should have enough self respect to believe that for yourself too.

I think you are calling the wrong people "total slime'' and "sons of a bitches'', Mary. John Kerry and John Edwards are failed candidates. Your father and his boss, the President, are just plain failures.

Hat tip to AMERICAblog
go read what John has to say.
Share

No comments: