Friday, May 12, 2006

Dear Senator Frist - My Second Plea For Sanity



















Take a look at these 3 babies. These are pictures of my 3 precious children when they were babies. They are now in their teens and early twenties and they are all turning out to be amazing people. I have a lot of hope that they will be part of the generation that makes this country great again. They will be part of the generation that will have to dig this country out of the big black hole in which you and this GOP administration have buried us, and they certainly have their work cut out for them. But they give me hope that I have not had for a very long time.

I was wondering though, in your darkest hours (of which I’m sure you’ve had many) do you think about the terrible missteps that you and your fellow GOP comrades and this administration have taken? Do you think about the things you could have and probably should have done differently? Do you have any regrets? Do you worry about this country at all or is it all about saving your sinking poll numbers and dying political careers?

The reason I ask is that I got to thinking about your career in particular and I could not help remembering that shameful day that you went to the floor of the Senate and argued that Terri Schiavo was not in a persistent vegetative state. I was flabbergasted that you would sacrifice your good reputation as a Heart Surgeon for such an obvious political ploy. I was amazed that you could do something so transparent and ridiculous like making a diagnosis simply by viewing an amateur video tape for about an hour in your office. That really took courage, especially since other doctors who were actually neurologists and not heart surgeons like you, had painstakingly examined her in person over a much longer period and had pretty much come to the opposite conclusion you did. How did it make you feel to have stepped into the middle of a family’s personal tragedy and make an already painful situation much worse. How did it make you feel to invade the privacy of this family in such a horrible way? Do you have any regrets? Would you do anything differently if you could do it all over again?

The reason I ask is that I am watching you get ready to do it all over again only this time, on a much bigger scale. Instead of exacerbating one family’s pain you are about to hurt thousands and thousands of families. My family will be one of them. In June you are going to reintroduce the Federal Marriage Amendment again, which will mark one of my beautiful children as a second class citizen unable to enjoy the same rights, protections, and dignity that your children will enjoy and take for granted. You are about to take our beautiful constitution which has always been about protecting the rights of all Americans and turn it into a document that discriminates against a huge segment of our population. You are about to destroy the very principles that made this country great. You are about to make a fool of yourself again.

Senator Frist, save yourself from making another huge and embarrassing mistake. Don’t single out one of my beautiful children and make him an outcast. Spare my family and thousands like mine the pain and agony of yet another transparent political ploy that has nothing to do with solving this country’s major problems. Please sir, I beg you, leave my family and my child alone. Treat my child the same way you treat your own children. Don’t strip away my child’s dignity. This will not solve the huge problems this country is now facing, it will only confirm in most people’s minds what they already suspect, that you are a cheap political opportunist who will do whatever it takes to save his career, the country be damned. Share

No comments: