Wednesday, May 30, 2007

We're on our own kids

Well I’ll be damned. I never thought I’d say this, but there is a certain comfort in knowing just where the Republican Party stands on Gay and Lesbian issues. They’ve certainly made no secret of their homophobia or their desire to enshrine their hatred of gays into laws. But what the hell can you say about a party who pretends to be your ally, but who’d throw you under the bus in a heartbeat if it meant even the slightest political gain?

I’ve always known there is a certain slime factor that comes with politics and power, but c’mon, is there anything slimier than this:

Bob Shrum's book has already caused its share of trouble for John Edwards, in part from Shrum's recollection that Edwards wasn't comfortable with gay people in 1998.

But the book is really sort of a pile of unexploded ordnance, and the person who comes off as most indifferent to questions of gay rights isn't Edwards, but Bill Clinton.

[...]

"Clinton, Kerry reported at the time, did suggest blunting Bush's appeal to cultural conservatives with a reprise of Clinton's Sister Souljah moment in 1992 when he'd denounced her call for violence against whites — and done it as conspicuously as possible in front of Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition.

"Kerry, Clinton ventured, should consider defying Democratic interest groups by endorsing the Bush proposal for a federal constitutional amendment banning gay marriage."

Shrum reports that "this was a flip-flop too far for Kerry.

Yup, that’s good ol’ Bill Clinton, lookin ya in the face and flashin that big warm “I’m your friend” smile while all the while looking for the nearest speeding bus to throw every last one of ya under.

And lest we all forget, Ben Smith reminds us:

Bill Clinton does, reportedly, continue to play a role in Hillary's campaign.

I have to agree with Andrew Sullivan on this one:

… are there still some delusional morons out there who think Bill Clinton and his life-partner give a flying DNA sample about gay people? Yes, the last president was marking the dress of an extra-marital lover, while he was grandstanding on the Defense of Marriage Act. That says everything about Bill Clinton that you'll ever need to know.

At least with the Republicans you don’t have to worry about being stabbed in the back since they’ll gladly look you right in the eye when they stab you. So I’ll give them credit for their honesty.

I just want to bury my face in a pillow and cry. Do we not have any allies? I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t think we do. And I sure as hell don’t trust Hillary Clinton to be that knight in shining armor. I get the feeling she’d sell her first born if it meant a slight up tick in the polls.

Nope, I think Jarred is right: “as far as gay rights go, we're probably going to have to settle for voting for the "least evil" candidate.” But I can tell you one thing right now, Democrats are going to have to earn my vote and at this point, they’ve all flunked – miserably.

Share

No comments: