Thursday, June 14, 2007

News worth crying over

Well my husband and I certainly got tears in our eyes over it, but I’ll bet there is some good hard crying going on in fundie-land over this:

Legislators vote to defeat same-sex marriage ban

A proposed constitutional ban on same-sex marriage was defeated today by a joint session of the Legislature by a vote of 45 to 151, eliminating any chance of getting it on the ballot in November 2008. At least 50 votes were needed to advance the measure.

This is a pretty big thing in my view. Gay Marriage opponents could not even muster the 50 votes they needed. Think about it, that's over 75% of the Massachusetts State Legislature who chose NOT to support their hateful little amendment.

I do believe the tide is turning in our favor and the proof is in the tidal wave that just hit the fundies in Massachusetts.

This is indeed a glorious victory! My husband and I are going out and celebrating it tonight along with my 76 year old mother who is as happy as we are.

Sorry James Dobson, you lose.

Share

1 comment:

Jarred said...

This is good news indeed. As gay marriages in Massachusetts continues and people see that -- contrary to the predictions of the Dobsons and Robertsons of the world -- society isn't imploding as a result, the more people will realize the truth of the matter. Combine this with more state cases (like the incidents cropping up in both New Jersey and Connecticut in recent weeks) demonstrating that civil unions are not true equivalents to marriage, and we're merely looking at a matter of time.

Of course, that may mean that some of us may need to learn some patience. I just hope I'm not one of them, because that's one lesson I personally hate. ;)