|Archbishop/Homophobe John Nienstedt|
Longtime readers will know that I’m no fan of Twin Cities Catholic Archbishop JohnNienstedt. In fact, I believe that Nienstedt has inserted himself more deeply into the battle over civil marriage in his state than perhaps any other Catholic bishop across the country. (And considering some of the competition, that’s quite the accomplishment!)
There has been no low too low for this supposed Man of God. His hatred and demonization of our glbt loved ones has been breathtaking in its scope. I recently wrote about his foam-at-the-mouth rant about sanctity of marriage, where he managed to get satan, sodomy, and threats to civilization all in under the same breath. Now that gay marriage is legal in Minnesota, the man seems to have gone off the deep-end with his hatred of all things gay. His resume for loathsome, pitiful, scare and hate mongering is plentiful. Here are a few examples:
- He denied communion to all students who dared to wear rainbow buttons in protest of the Catholic Church's campaign in which nasty anti-gay DVDs were sent out to all congregants in the Diocese.
- Or the time he sent out a letter to all congregants demanding all congregants vote for a marriage ban.
- Or the time he told all priests and deacons who disagreed with the anti-gay marriage bill to keep their mouths shut.
- Or the time he required all Catholics in Mass to recite a special prayer asking the Heavenly Father to help deny gays and lesbians civil rights everyone else enjoys and takes for granted.
- Or the time he basically told the mother of a gay child to reject him or risk her own salvation.
- This horrible, despicable man covered up for a local priest recently sentenced to prison for child molesting.