Friday, January 26, 2007

Dick Cheney is a big fat chicken

When I saw this video clip of Wolf Blitzer asking the Vice President how he felt about groups like Focus on the Family’s reaction to his daughter Mary Cheney’s pregnancy, I actually got a little hopeful. I mean c’mon, so many of these supposed “family advocacy” groups wasted no time stepping up onto their bully pulpits to wave their fingers in righteous indignation at the horror of Mary’s decision to start a family with the woman she loves. So I was kind of hoping that maybe, just maybe Dick Cheney would finally stand up, be a DAD and not a politician, and put these judgmental ninnies in their places, right there on national television for everyone to see.

But alas, it was not to be. In fact, for playing such a tough guy on the political scene, Mr. Cheney’s response was pretty damn chickensh*t and embarrassing.

Here is how he responded to Wolf:

I obviously think the world of both my daughters… and I think frankly you are out of line with that question.

All I can say is that if anyone stuck their self-righteous, sanctimonious nose in my family’s private business and said this about one of my children:

“[Mary Cheney’s] pregnancy raises the question of what’s best for children. Just because it’s possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father doesn’t mean it’s the best for the child.”

Or this:

"Unconscionable. It's very disappointing that a celebrity couple like this would deliberately bring into the world a child that will never have a father. They are encouraging people who don't have the advantages they have."

I sure wouldn’t be telling poor little Wolf, he was out of line, I’d be going after the real culprits: the Dobson, Robertson, Falwell crowd. And I can tell you this right now, all decorum would fly right out the window if that had been my daughter these hypocrites were so publicly and disdainfully judging. It would not matter one whit to me whether these wing-nuts were part of my so-called “base” or not. My family’s private life is private. And these people have no right to stick their noses into any of my family member’s most private and intimate decisions.

It’s such a tragedy. This man, the second most powerful man in the world, has had six years of opportunities to make sure his daughter, and millions of other daughters and sons could live their lives with dignity, equality, and respect, but obviously political opportunism was more important to him than his daughter’s welfare. She served his party well as a tool and that obviously was ok with him. So I am not at all surprised to see him slap down Wolf rather than the Dobson crowd, there’s no political repercussions to squashing a defenseless journalist just doing his job, there is plenty of political repercussion to slapping down the 28% who still support him.

I really don’t know how he can live with himself.

Related posts:

Dear Vice President Cheney

Dear Lynne Cheney

Clarification: I know that some of you are watching this video and thinking, the Vice President doesn’t look like a big fat chicken in this clip. And you’d be right, he looks like a big fat bully. And he’s a bully because he doesn’t have the courage to be anything else.

I just wish that Wolf had reminded him that it was his administration that chose to make his daughter, my son, and every other parent’s gay or lesbian child an issue when he was running for Vice President of the United States. And for him to be offended now when people ask him about his daughter is ludicrous and out of line.

Every parent who has a gay or lesbian child has the right to know exactly how Mr. Cheney feels about the Dobson crowd’s reactions to his daughter’s pregnancy. I sure as hell want to know since my son will be one of millions who will be directly impacted by his administration’s decision to throw our children under the bus for political gain.

I’d like to remind Mr. Cheney of this very appropriate passage from the bible: As you sow so shall you reap. But sadly, our gay and lesbian children are also going to reap what this coward and his administration have sown.


Share

No comments: