Friday, August 16, 2013

I look under the hood before I give any company my business. Groupon you pass the test.




There was a time when I was just a consumer. Not anymore. For the last decade, my husband and I have made a concerted effort to give our business only to companies that share our progressive values. Sometimes that may not be possible, but I can assure you most of the time it is completely do-able.

If more of us shopped this way, I believe we could make a hell of an impact. Some of our prerequisites:

  • Pays living wages and includes generous benefits for employees?
  • Strives to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally?
  • Is a good neighbor to the community in which it is located?
  • Finds a balance between progressive values and bottom line? 
  • Is environmentally friendly?
  • Is GLBT friendly? 
  • Has a diversified work force?
  • Treats and pays women the same as men?
  • Etc., Etc.
That is why you will not catch me ever spending one bloody dime in Chick-fil-A restaurant (very anti-gay), but I'd think nothing of spending freely at a Costco (generous to their employees) or using anything Google (very gay friendly, lots of diversity in the workforce) or enjoying anything made by Ben & Jerry's (their mission statement is a progressive's dream).

It takes very little time to do a google search and the pay-off is more than worth it.

Thanks Groupon.




Share

No comments: