Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ignorance and Homophobia: The tale of 2 bigots, both make laughingstocks of themselves, but one is a comedic actor, the other pretends to be a "Man of God"


So this morning I had some extra time on my hands and sat down to do some mindless surfing on the internet. Over at Crooks and Liars they had a clip of Pat Robertson telling parents of gay children "that there was a good chance that school officials may have "molested" their kids to recruit them to be homosexuals."

Now there was a day when this kind of blatantly ignorant and homophobic garbage would have upset me so bad, my entire day would have been ruined. No more. I guess I have come to expect this kind of sheer lunacy from Pat Robertson and his ilk, which is not to say this despicable man doesn't still disgust me and cause the bile to rise up into my throat. He is a pathetic and evil man who has enriched himself on the backs of those who can least afford it while passing himself off as a man of God. He is a fraud. He is a snake oil salesman. And he preys on the ignorant and vulnerable. I cannot change any of that, but I can change how I react to him. So I laugh at him. He deserves so much more, but at least he cannot ruin my day anymore.



Then I moved on to AmericaBlog where John had the clip below posted. I laughed. And I was supposed to laugh.

Both clips feature over-the-top ignorant bigots. One has an actor who played an over-the-top ignorant bigot in a 70's sit-com, the other has a clueless buffoon who plays a preacher and man of God. One makes you laugh at your own ignorance, the other makes you laugh at his ignorance.

Thank you Carroll O'Connor aka Archie Bunker. You made people laugh and do some serious soul searching. And that is a good thing. May you rest in peace.

I have nothing good to say about Pat Robertson, but if there is a hell, I've got to think he'll have a front row seat. 




Share

No comments: